The American manufacturer of outdoor tools goes under the spotlights once again, with one of its latest launches. Snow Joe iON24SB-XR is the world’s first dual-stage snow blower running on batteries. Equipped for heavy snow falls and with the ETL approval under its belt, this snow blower makes some bold claims.
In a nutshell, it promises full gas power combined with cord-free convenience of use. Those who want to test it can choose from 3 different packages: the core tool or two other packages with extra features, battery and dual port charger included. Before you get there, let’s have a closer look and decide together whether it is worth the investment or not.
Snow Joe iON24SB-XR main technical features
Whenever we hear about a new snow blower, we are eager to find out what’s under the hood. With the Snow Joe iON24SB-XR, we are particularly curious about its power source. As already suggested, this revolutionary snow blower is a battery-powered two-stage unit.
What sets it into motion is actually a pair of Lithium-Ion rechargeable batteries featuring the famous Eco Sharp technology. The batteries work on 5.0 Ah at 40 V each, providing autonomy of maximum 40 minutes. The manufacturer also sells a model with 6.0 Ah batteries, which would only enhance its autonomy with 10 minutes. Since this isn’t something that will necessarily make you want to pay more, let’s focus on this version.
The 80V battery pack of Snow Joe iON24SB-XR is “turbocharged” by a powerful 2500W brushless motor, OEM Branded make. This technical configuration stands for a self-propelled driving system with 4 speeds: 3 forward and 1 reverse. The output?
The snow blower can move up to 1000 lbs of snow per minute, throwing it up to 32-feet. Ideal for snow of up to 13-inches, it has a clearing path of 24-inches width and 13-inches depth.
The design of Snow Joe iON24SB-XR snow blower
(Back to Top)
Ready to work, this unit measures 40 x 25.7 x 47 inches and weighs 105.8 pounds. While Snow Joe iON24SB-XR might seem a bit bulky, getting to its functional form is rather easy. The assembling part requires no particular experience or special tools.
In the package you will have the auger, the motor, and the chassis assembled as one unit. The remaining parts are separated from the body and putting them together is what the actual assembling consists of. You will just have to attach the top handle to the body of the snow blower; then you do the same with the chute and its rotation bar, and it’s all ready to go.
What you get is a hefty snow blower with a metal body, serrated steel auger, and plastic chute, adjustable at 180-degree. From a distance, the display with integrated push button catches the eye. But wait until you see the LEDs on board turning on, signaling speed/direction selection; bet you haven’t seen something similar before, right?
Snow Joe iON24SB-XR starts with the push of a button and it works surprisingly quiet. You get to set it into motion through its reversible skid shoes and take it out in the cold. You can even take it out in the dark, thanks to its dual LED headlights at 0.3W. The first time you’ll push it through snow you will notice it also features TracAssist snow tires. These 13-inches height and 2-inches width tires ensure maximum traction in winter weather conditions.
What customers have to say about Snow Joe iON24SB-XR
(Back to Top)
As a relatively new product, there aren’t really many reviews out there for the revolutionary Snow Joe iON24SB-XR snow blower. But some of our readers, brave enough to be among the first ones to test it, sent us some specific feedback.
According to them, on the plus side, Snow Joe iON24SB-XR:
- Is easy and intuitive to set up – it takes about 20 minutes from the moment you unpack it until you take it out in the driveway; perhaps 30 if you’re not a technical person at all…
- It works very smooth – using it early in the morning or late at night shouldn’t upset your neighbors or your family at all.
- And it feels rather sturdy – looks nothing like those cheap models that you can push with one hand, eventually on top of the snow pile…
On the downside, this snow blower:
- Needs about 90 minutes to recharge the batteries – and if they are completely discharged, even 3 hours, especially since the charger has no fan to cool down the system.
- Features handle bars at 16-inch away, set at 41 inches height with no adjustment options; so shorter people could find it a bit inconvenient.
- It is a tad more difficult to turn around, feeling kind of bulky at over 105lbs; also, wheels are locked if the battery is not inserted.
Pros & cons of using this snow blower
(Back to Top)
As we have previously seen, the direct feedback coming from real users is generally positive. This means that the pros and cons of Snow Joe iON24SB-XR are pretty intuitive. Just as they result from the technical configuration and the design features of the snow blower, we have the following:
- Extra power coming from the dual-stage engine;
- Extra autonomy thanks to its two batteries with the EcoSharp technology;
- Eco-friendly due to the zero carbon emissions;
- Protective with surfaces thanks to its special blade;
- Comfortable, simple and intuitive to use with the digital display;
- Convenient to use at dark, thanks to the two headlights;
- The adjustable skid shoes recommend it for gravel driveways as well; but turning from a smooth driveway to a gravel surface would require using a tool for adjusting the shoes.
- The cons mostly rely on using a battery powered unit, meaning that autonomy is limited. If your driveway is longer or wider, waiting until the batteries recharge can be a bit annoying…
- Also, the LED lights are not very powerful, but when it’s actually dark, that light can make a difference.
Warranty & support terms for Snow Joe iON24SB-XR
(Back to Top)
The warranty and support terms available online for this new snow blower aren’t very detailed. Aside from the general statement that the product benefits a full 2-year warranty, you have a contact number.
The manufacturer advises you to use their toll-free number 866-766-9563 (M-F 9-6EST and Sunday 9-4EST) and address any potential issue.
As with all their other products, warranty applies for products used around the household and doesn’t include wearing parts. To be sure of what you’re dealing with / what warranty you’re entitled to, contact the manufacturer when in doubt!
Final considerations of Snow Joe iON24SB-XR
(Back to Top)
Snow Joe iON24SB-XR is a phenomenon for the simple fact that it is dual-stage and works on batteries! It also comes with an interesting design, it is easy to assemble, and it is intended for medium/heavy snows. And on top of all that, it provides great value for the money.
Have you been tempted by the idea of using a cordless snow blower? Were you reluctant, thinking it won’t have enough power? Snow Joe iON24SB-XR seems to be the type of snow blower that lets you cut the cord and do the work. We say you give it a go.