A single stage snow blower running on batteries, manufactured by Snow Joe. It sounds like you’ve heard it before, right? You did, but this is iON’s big brother, the iON-Pro electric unit promising more power through an upgraded, rechargeable, interchangeable battery. They say you should be able to get done larger snow jobs, from one charge, without bugging the neighbors.
So, what’s this more power, less noise, more autonomy we hear of? Let’s review the Snow Joe iON21SB-PRO and see for ourselves:
Snow Joe iON21SB-PRO main technical features
Snow Joe is well-known for its cordless electric snow blowers. This particular model, Snow Joe iON21SB-PRO, is one of their most popular additions to the line. Powered by a Lithium Ion battery at 5.0 Amp Hours and 40 volts, it should fully charge in about 3.5 hours.
The 600-Watt OEM Branded brushless engine supports a plowing capacity of 660 pounds per minute. Depending on how wet and heavy the snow is, it should reach a throwing distance of up to 20 feet. At the same time, the chute rotating turning radius of 180-degree supports an even distribution of the snow.
With this snow blower, you should be able to stay out in the cold for up to 65 minutes. You start it with a button push and you can tackle flat terrain, even with obstacles, for about an hour. Snow Joe iON21SB-PRO relies on a push drive system and while it doesn’t feature reverse speeds, it has 1 forward speed. The pitch control is manual.
The design of Snow Joe iON21SB-PRO snow blower
(Back to Top)
The product requires assembly when taking it out of the box. Aside from the cordless snow blower, the package will contain:
- The battery
- The charger
- A safety key
- The handle / deflector knobs
- Square J and carriage bolts
- Rubber washers
- A user manual with the registration card
But the whole assembly process is relatively simple and intuitive. So, in less than 30 minutes, you should have it ready to use.
When assembled, the Snow Joe iON21SB-PRO measures 47.2-inch in depth, 38.6-inch in height and 23.4-inch in width. With an auger diameter of 21-inch, it creates a clearing path of 21-inch in width and 8-inch in depth.
The unit is made of a combination of plastic – the body and the chute – respectively steel – the auger. All in all, it weighs 36.8 pounds and sits on a pair of tires measuring 6-inch height and 1.5-inch width.
Equipped with an imposing steel auger and two heavy-duty rubber blades, the snow blower has an 8-inch intake height. Suitable for fluffy light snow, it features a lowered scraper bar that wipes snow off the ground without damaging surfaces.
As for its comfort level, Snow Joe iON21SB-PRO has, like mentioned, electric start. The adjustable auto-rotate chute is also actionable through a simple switch. And the handles are adjustable, for maximized user comfort during use. Moreover, the entire design was conceived for easy action. The LED light and the chute remote switches, the safety switch button, the switch bar lever are all accessible from the handle.
What customers have to say about Snow Joe iON21SB-PRO
(Back to Top)
Snow Joe iON21SB-PRO is an electric snow blower; therefore, customers have some common concerns regarding its efficiency. Sure, they all appreciate the comfort of using it without a cord. Yet many of them wished, at least once, that they’d had a spare battery.
Just like other units that don’t power up in real time from a socket, this one can be overwhelmed at times. Wet snow seems to be particularly problematic, as it can clog the chute, discharge unevenly or require more than one pass. Also, the more difficult the snow, the longer it could take, thus consuming the battery before clearing the entire surface.
In a nutshell, our readers appreciate the Snow Joe iON21SB-PRO for how it looks, feels, and moves through snow. When the weather conditions aren’t the ones that the snow blower was designed for, it can be a bit tricky. Even so, it will take a bit longer to finish the job. If you have a backup battery, chances are you will get the job done.
Anyway, the differences from the previous products in this line are visible. The unit brings more power and autonomy, users being generally pleased with its capacities. Most negative reviews come from people who tried it on heavy snow. The general consent, however, is that it works great on under 8-inch snow.
Pros & cons of using this snow blower
(Back to Top)
Opting for this Snow Joe iON21SB-PRO will give you all the benefits you were anticipating:
- Easy to use – thanks to the lightweight design and the battery powered, cordless functioning;
- Suitable for large walkways and driveways – due to the 21-inch wide clearing path;
- Versatile – the Li-Ion battery is rechargeable and compatible with any iON tool, hence also interchangeable;
- Comfortable – because of the light weight, the adjustable handles, the battery that recharges very fast;
- Practical – it makes very little noise and it is equipped with LED headlights, allowing you to use it anytime, day/night;
- Easy to work with – not just because of the light weight, but also thanks to the push-button start, the lack of gas, oil, pull cords;
- Easy to store and maintain – no need to deal with stabilizers, gas, or anything else when packing it up for the warm season;
- Renowned manufacturer – accessible customer support, no need to worry about warranty or supply parts.
On the downside, however:
- It won’t handle heavy snow, so it doesn’t really suit big jobs;
- Depending on weather conditions, it could feel underpowered at times;
- It doesn’t have power-driven wheels, therefore, not everyone appreciates the need to push and pull;
- It takes getting the right information about the maintenance of the battery – completely charge it before the first use, avoid low-discharge cycles, store it in a cool place etc.
Warranty & support terms for Snow Joe iON21SB-PRO
(Back to Top)
The manufacturer offers a 2-year full warranty for the Snow Joe iON21SB-PRO. As expected, it applies to the original purchaser and targets defects in workmanship or material. The trick is to use it under normal, residential purposes, as per the manufacturer’s indications. For commercial or industrial use, the warranty goes down to only 90 days.
The batteries, after the first 90 days of use, and all wearing parts don’t make the object of any warranty. For any questions about the product, the replacement parts or the wearing parts, contacting the manufacturer is always advisable.
Final considerations of Snow Joe iON21SB-PRO
(Back to Top)
Choosing a snow blower is never an easy task, especially if you’ve made some wrong choices in the past. Snow Joe iON21SB-PRO, however, doesn’t seem like one of those uninspired choices. Not if you’re living in an area with moderate snow and you’re willing to test the products of a reputable manufacturer. Snow Joe has been on the market for quite some time and pushing boundaries with every new release. See for yourself with this upgraded version.